Water damage is progressive and items that could be restored within the first 48 hours of the water damage may not be restored if emergency response is delayed. Although you might be tempted to use a shop vacuum or call a company that only has equipment to dry carpet, you should consider that water will wick up walls and travel under base molding and sill plates. It will penetrate through floor coverings into sub-floors, even causing water damage in rooms below.
Water Damage Restoration
Rapid Structural Drying
Four Principles Of Rapid Structural Drying:
Principle 1: Physical Removal Of Water
Removal of water in the liquid state is 500 times more efficient than changing liquid to vapor with air movers and removing the vapor with dehumidification. Specialty tools have been designed to remove maximum amount of water out of carpets and cushions such as the Hydro-X Extreme or the Water Claw. These tools require more time, so expect a higher line item charge for water extraction, but they can reduce the number of equipment rental days due to their efficiency. Removing carpet cushion may not be necessary using Rapid Structural Drying techniques.
2. Air Flow
Principle 2: Evaporation
After as much water as possible has been removed physically, the remaining water must be evaporated using high-velocity air. Over the last few years, new types of air movers have been introduced that provide much higher air movement at lower amperage and are specifically designed for Rapid Structural Drying. In the past, air movers were designed to be inserted underneath the carpet to allow it to float. Usually one air mover was installed for every 200 to 250 sq. ft of floor space. Today’s air movers sit on top of the floor and face the wall at a 45° angle. These are typically placed at 1 per 12-16 linear feet of wall space. Therefore, a 10 x 12 room could have four air movers with this system, as opposed to two with the old system. More equipment is used but the drying is faster. This increased airflow evaporates the water from the wet structural materials much more rapidly.
Principle 3: Balanced Evaporation
Dehumidifiers are used to balance evaporation. In other words, the moisture being put into the air from the air movers has to be taken out of the air, or secondary damage will occur. Without dehumidifiers, hygroscopic materials would absorb moisture out of the air and become damaged, drying would be delayed, and mold growth could occur. By utilizing the new low grain refrigerant dehumidifiers we can remove much more moisture from the affected area than ever before!
Principle 4: Temperature Control
Maintaining proper temperature is critical in drying a structure quickly. Warm air holds more moisture than cool air; therefore, warm air will increase the rate of evaporation. However, there are certain variables to consider. First, refrigerant dehumidifiers are most efficient between 70-90 degrees. Second, the equipment itself generates heat that could easily accelerate temperatures to above 90 degrees. Usually within the first 24 to 48 hours, because of the cooling effect of moisture evaporating from materials, temperatures are easily maintained. Keeping the temperature of the affected area between 80° – 90° for the first 36 – 48 hours can assist drying enormously. Drying chambers can be utilized to contain the warmer temperatures to the affected area.
Rapid Structural Drying Benefits
- Saves property owner and insurance company time & money.
- Healthier, safer and less inconvenient for the occupants.
- Minimizes replacement of costly structural materials.
- The property owner is more satisfied because of less disruption and stress.
- Reduces the potential for mold growth by drying the structure quickly.
- Focuses on rapidly drying complete structure, not just carpet & cushion.
- Most structures and contents dried within 3-4 days.
- Standards and validation for the amount of drying equipment used.
- Scientifically proven methods using Psychrometrics, the science of drying.
- Eliminates the need for biocide applications on clean water losses.
- Daily Humidity Charts and Moisture Mapping establish that the structure is dry.
- Digital pictures provided showing the damaged structure before restoration and after.
- Documentation that structural materials are returned to pre-loss conditions.
- Less manipulation of contents.
Count on Peachtree. Every Time.
Here is what you can expect from Peachtree restoration services specialists:
- Polite and clean-cut, with a friendly smile and attitude
- Honest, dependable and always working with your best interest in mind
- Knowledgeable and trained in the latest restoration and cleaning techniques and equipment
- IICRC certified in water restoration
- Drug and background checked
- Professionally attired with a personal I.D. badge
- Uses a Peachtree floor mat to wipe his feet
- Wears waterproof shoe protectors in your home or business to keep things clean
- Thoroughly explains the restoration process and welcomes your questions
- Takes photos – before, during and after
- Provides you with full documentation and job scope before any work starts
- Waits for your approval to begin the job
- Cleans up after the job is done – as if he was never there
- Welcomes your feedback and offers you an opportunity to give it through a survey
Water Damage What TO DO Checklist – Summary
- Turn off electricity to affected area
- Stop the water
- Take Pictures or video with time stamp
- Move furniture, equipment, and valuables
- Call Peachtree 678-710-8399